Monday, October 20, 2008

The beginning of the end

They warned us, those parents that have already been through it. They said to enjoy the newborn phase because then they start getting into everything. Well, it's starting. And it's exhausting.

Goodbye to the 3 hour morning naps. Somehow that got moved to the afternoon, meaning bedtime was almost midnight, meaning mommy got no time to herself to eat dinner, clean up, shower, catch up on my DVR recordings. Just like that, everything changed. Last week I was bragging about what a good sleeper Tylo was.

This week, she can roll over. On a whim. I set her down in her crib, the next second she's rolled to the edge on her tummy, with feet sticking through the rails. Practically stuck, then she starts wailing because she doesn't like being on her tummy all squished against the rail. Well then sweetie, why did you roll in the first place? I put her on her back again, she rolls right over again. We do this about 12 times. How do you get a rolling baby to sleep? You don't. It was 8 in the morning and I was not ready to give up a morning nap. So I let her exhaust herself on her tummy. Funny she rolls from back to front with almost no effort now, and once she gets there, she doesn't know what to do with her limp little arms. She doesn't even try to get back, even though she hates it on her tummy. And she's gone from front to back before, I've seen it. But all that knowledge goes out the window when you're cornered against the rail I guess. After about 5 mins crying on her tummy she fell asleep when I laid her on her back again. It's a little evil I know, but it's one of things you will understand when you're a mom (like when I let her cry to fish her boogers out).

So bed time is much more of a challenge and the middle of the night is a complete nightmare. It takes 30 mins to lay her to bed, instead of the usual 5-10. If she wakes up in the middle of the night? Another hour, minimum, instead of 5. Over and over and over. Cause when she wakes up, she just starts rolling.

Some one tell me this rolling thing is a novelty and they will tire of it. Soon.


-

No comments: