Sunday, January 11, 2009

It must be really hot in herrrrre . . .

I had a mini-heart attack today when I opened my PG&E bill. I was dreading the December bill because it started to get cold and with baby and all I have been running the heater on 65 degrees in the living room and using a space heater that runs intermittently in the bedroom, with a 24 hr a day warm mist humidifer as well to offset the dryness that results from all that hot air.

I knew it would be higher than my normal $35 per month, but oh my god. It was $330!!! I woke up my hubby to tell him the news. He was in shock too, but quickly went back to sleep.

Now granted, we kept it warm enough so that we could get away with a t-shirt and light pj pants on the bottom. From time to time HP even wandered around comfortably in just his boxers and no pants at all. I mean, after all, we wanted Tylo to be nice and comfy, but I was not prepared for this.

It was 1 in the morning but I had to call PG&E to get to the bottom of this. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes, I asked the kind lady if they offered relief for "first time offenders" who don't realize how much electricity could be used to keep a new baby warm. I think I heard her muffle a laugh and she said "I'm sorry but we ACTUALLY don't have anything like that". (Which translates to "Look Lady, you have to pay your bill just like every one else who is cold".)

Upon looking at the bill some more I realized that part of the outrageous total was my $78 bill from November that I missed payment on. Oops, must have gotten lost in the world of ebills. So the usage was $250 for December. But STILL.

Looks like I'll be back to my burning candles and wearing 10 lbs of clothes method to keep warm. On the other hand, our gas usage was only $3.50 (despite all my wonderful cooking!).

Maybe I'll just boil water all day long to keep our place warm and humidified from the steam . . .

-

No comments: