Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"I do IT"

Hmmm, looking at the title of this post, you would totally get the wrong idea. I mean I-T, as in information technology.

Anyway, when I was working I would say about 20% of my job was IT. I managed our company's servers, network and all account/software users, internet setup, all equipment and software purchases, and offered pretty much all desktop support. Weird huh? If you knew me in my former life, you'd say, "you? IT? The person who can't even figure out how to send a text message?" Even my husband (who really does IT for a living) laughed at me. They put pretty much all of the company's IT related issues into my hands because, well, there was no one else. It was a heck of a lot of power I tell you.
But I wasn't half bad, and I have an inner geek after all. I started spitting out phrases like "you have to make sure you deselect 'use the default gateway' when connecting to the network through VPN otherwise you are unable to access outside internet" and "I have to reboot the sonic wall because we've exceeded our number of allowed IP addresses".

Well my point of all this is, HP decided to join Facebook last night. I have been avoiding it for quite some time because it was all a little intimidating and because I totally do not know what's cool out there in the world of internet, despite being called the IT department of our company. But I hear it's a great way to keep in touch, especially if you have a 7 and 1/2 month old that demands all your attention. So, I joined too! If you know my full name, look for me! As of now, I have no friends =(


-

No comments: