Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Isn't it 2009?

So HP and I have been searching for a new car to replace our 12 year old 4Runner. That car is still in good shape, but well, sometimes it just doesn't start. I've never been stranded or anything, it just takes some finesse with the gas pedal. And one of the back seat belts is broken. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but maybe we were looking for a good reason to get a new car and with the economy the way it is, it's a buyer's market.

Luckily, I'm not a new car virgin. I'm happy to say I did almost all the research and negotiation of purchasing our last car, an Avalon, all by myself. Alright, so I bought the same exact car I already had before. But I did pay for it with my own hard earned money. This time around it's a bit of a tug of war because even though I'll be the main driver, HP has his heart set on something a little more luxurious. He wants status. I want a trunk that will fit Tylo's ginormous stroller and then some. He wants speed and power. I want to make sure the back seat accomodates two car seats for when Baby #2 comes.

Anyhoo, we are thinking a Lexus RX350 because they are pretty nice, not too big, not too small, and are priced at rock bottom prices these days. At first I was totally against it because I have seen their trunks and they are a joke. Think Corolla. But I guess the new ones are bigger and adequate. A GX was a contender but they have this ridiculous door that swings super wide and seems so inconvienent and impractical should I ever be parallel parked, or in a small parking lot. After a test drive of the RX, I was almost sold.

Except the entire time the freakin salesperson treated me like I was a NOBODY, despite us repeating over and over that I would be the driver. In fact, he practically stepped right over me to walk 5 feet to shake the hand of my husband and introduce himself, even though I was right there next to him. That really ticked me off.

HP attributes it to the fact that 90% of the time the man makes the decision about the car. You know what I think? I think they know that women are more rational, thoughtful and practical consumers, and men purchase based on emotion. Plus I've become quite the haggler and I have a million questions about how the car actually works. Because yes, as they say in that one car commercial, I do care about the cup holders!!!

I'm happy to say I don't plan to buy from that guy. He needs to wake up and treat women buyers with more respect. At this point we haven't narrowed out other options, but it sure would be nice to have a Lexus . . .

-

No comments: